Safe Winter Driving TipsDecember 3rd, 2010 at 6:25 am by Julie Patterson under Traffic
Drive according to road conditions:
- Please pay attention, hang up and drive.
- Allow extra time to get to your destination, reduce your speed, and increase your following distance.
- Clear all windows of ice and snow and remove snow from hood, roof and head lights and tail lights.
- Beware of bridges, underpasses, shaded areas and intersections where ice and snow is slow to melt.
- Slow down to increase traction; don’t use cruise control on slick roads.
- Avoid abrupt stops and starts, slow down gradually and keep wheels turning to avoid loosing traction.
- Use low beam headlights to decrease glare from ice.
- Buckle up.
- MOVE OVER, SLOW DOWN for emergency and highway service vehicles.
For road information:
- The best sources for road and weather information are your local radio and TV media.
- PLEASE DO NOT CALL city, county or state police dispatch center to ask what the road and weather conditions are. We need to keep our lines open for emergency calls.
- For statewide road and weather information visit INDOT’s web siteTrafficWise.IN.gov or dial 800-261-ROAD (7623).