April 8, 2011

April 8th, 2011 at 10:30 pm by under Deanna's Journey
I lost two boobs but gained so much more.  I felt the love and support of friends and family and that beats boobs any day. Dozens of folks filled a wing of the hospital’s surgery center.  We prayed and sang with my surgeon before they took me to the OR.  It was exactly what I needed.  I felt such a sense of calm.  AMAZING. I’m told my friends and family had a great party as they waited for me.

And now we wait again.  My lymph node biopsies revealed that the cancer has not spread, but we’re still waiting to learn whether the small mass in my right breast was cancer that was resistant to the chemotherapy agents we’d used for months to try to kill it, or was just dead tissue – the body of Fred the tumor now rendered harmless by the chemo.

I was told that I’d get a report back within 48 hours, but I’ve been told nothing yet.  And it’s the waiting – the excruciatingly hard waiting that makes cancer care so grueling.  If the chemo annihilated Fred before surgery, the odds of my long-term survival increase tremendously.  This is an important call.  And I’m able to do little more than wait.

But God gives us power while we wait.  He reminds us that “they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up on wings as eagles.  They shall run and not be weary.  They shall walk and not faint.”

And so it is.  I’m waiting patiently on the Lord, trusting, believing, hoping, praying that His strength will carry us through whatever awaits us on this journey.

14 Responses to “April 8, 2011”

1. liz says:

Thanks for sharing your stories !! I love your spirit and think you are an amazing person !! I will pray for you and your family !!

2. Nan says:

Sending positive healing thoughts your way.

3. Rita Royal says:

Strength we rise as we wait upon the Lord!
    It’s one of my favorite contemporary songs of these days. Peace be with you, Deanna. He is on your side!

4. April says:

It is SO hard to wait on God’s time and not on ours. Praying for good news, and with Jesus on your side, you’ll be just fine.

5. Donna Winsted says:

Remember, Deanna, we’re never given anything we can’t handle!!! Sending you radiant thoughts and energy! :D

6. cynthia smoker says:

You know, I’ve decided to be the one to say that waiting totally s@#$#!! There, I faced the big pink elephant in the room!! Hang in there girl-will keep sending up prayers for Fred to be totally DEAD!!

7. Linda says:

It appears that, as much as your body is changing, God is changing your heart even more. “I can’t do this, but God can,” has become my mantra as I have dealt with my own breast cancer and subsequent issues. “Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit.” “Honor God with your body.” To God be the glory for the things He is doing in you and through you!

8. Adele Taylor says:

God be with you Deanna. I so admire your faith and your strength!! You are so blessed to have your family and so many friends,who are praying for your recovery. Keep on having faith and God will see you through this!!

9. Robin Williams says:

Praying for you during this time that God will give you and your family peace and strength. I love Isaiah 40:31, a verse I chose many years ago at camp as my life verse. I then cross stitched it and it has always hung on my wall where I can see it easily and say it over in my mind. It reminds me that God is with us whether we are “flying” like those eagles or just running around. And and then when we can only just walk with God, there is that strength to not faint. Praying for you today.

10. Kelly Girl says:

Deanna~ I read your blog on this Gloomy ass day. You are so strong and with God in your soul you will prevail. God Bless you and your family. Sincerely, Kelly

11. Becky Bechtel says:

We all wait with you and pray with you, Deanna. You are not alone. May you feel the lifting of everyone that surrounds you from near and far.

12. Mary Ritke says:

We are with you in this journey. You are as beautiful as ever, inside and out.

13. Julie says:

You go girl! I too recently went boobless. Bilateral in Nov’10 and surgery two weeks ago to remove the expanders. Not the most comfortable things, but hey, after 2 different bouts 13 yrs apart, well worth it. Hang in there and continue to pray hard! Peace.

14. Rick says:

I read each of your entries in this blog. There were a couple of times I had some tears in the process. Thank you for sharing. Please pray for me and my kids.