October 6th 2012

October 6th, 2012 at 4:33 pm by under Deanna's Journey

I don’t like goodbyes, so I’ll just say thank you.  Thank you for being so incredibly nice when I run into you at public places.  Thank you for writing or calling and sharing yourselves and your experiences.  And thank you for being so amazingly supportive as I endured one of the most difficult years of my life following my breast cancer diagnosis.

I continue to be amazed by the Hoosier heart.  So many of you gave so much of yourselves, I could not thank you all individually.  But I take each of you with me.  I’ll think of you each time a drape the blankets viewers made for me over my knees, or wear a hat personally knitted for me, or read a poem beautifully engraved on etched glass and sent to the station.  I’ll think of you when I pick up the three boxes of cards (yes, I kept every one of them), or drape a hand knitted prayer shawl over my shoulders, or adorn my lapel with one of the many breast cancer pins given to me by so many of you.

I’ll think of you when I remember the hugs from Hoosiers in SteinMart, or scriptures shared in the grocery store line, or the many of you who started prayer chains – whispering my name in fervent pleas to the Father.

Hoosiers are the most incredibly emotionally generous folks I’ve ever had the pleasure to know.  You’ve touched my heart, blessed my spirit, and enriched by life.  And for that, I thank you.

Making the decision to leave was difficult.  But by the end of 2011, I knew I needed to return toTexas.  I was still healing from reconstructive surgery following my double mastectomy when I got a call from my Dad in mid December.  He told me that my mother was unresponsive and he had to call an ambulance.  The day before, she’d been feeling a bit under the weather, but she’d taught school, helped her granddaughter with a term paper, and had gone to bed.  She didn’t know the cough that had been troubling her was pneumonia caused by nasty bacteria that would invade her blood stream overnight.

She was septic.  The bacteria were winning.  And she could neither recognize loved ones nor breathe on her own.  I couldn’t get a flight to Texas until the next day, and overnight, my Dad had been forced to make decisions alone about everything from intubation to whether to sign a DNR.

After a two week hospital stay, my mother improved and returned to her active life as a teacher, church member, and community volunteer.  But the episode forced me to acknowledge that I have to take care of family first.  And it’s difficult to do that from more than a thousand miles away.

And so it is.  I’m leaving.  I’ll be working as an anchor and investigative reporter at KXAS, the NBC affiliate in Dallas/Fort Worth.  But I’ll be taking a bit of each of you with me.  I came here a Texan, but I’ll leave here a Hoosier.

13 Responses to “October 6th 2012”

1. Linda says:

Deanna, I never had the opportunity to meet you, yet you were always held close in my heart as a fellow survivor and faithful believer that God works all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purposes. You may be deep in the heart of Texas, but Indiana will be deep in the heart of you! God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

2. Lesley Fox says:

Please keep in touch with us Deanna! I will miss watching your news cast. God Bless and watch over you and your family!!! This Hoosier girl will miss you! :)

3. Marion says:

I was experiencing breast cancer during your struggle. I never wrote to you about how inspirational you have been for me. We always watch the 5:30 news because you are such an excellent emcee and reporter. Plus, a great sense of humor. Please keep in touch with your Facebook friends. Texas is very lucky.

4. Polly Luttrell says:

I never got the chance to meet you either but wanted you to know you touched my life in so many ways.

If ever there was a verse from the bible e all should remember it would be “I can do all things throughChrist who strengthensme.

I commend you for taking care of your parents and you are a very special person.

God bless you

5. Jean says:

Deanna, I’m so gonna miss ya on the news! I followed your journey as a stage 4 survivor. We have the same doctor and i know it must be hard to leave your medical team. It would be hard for me. But I totally understand how it all comes back to taking care of those who took care of you. I’m going thru the same things, just lucky enough to have moved my parents here so I can. i would do the same thing if I was in your in your shoes. Cherish the moments that you have with your parents. Life is precious.

Jean

6. Lori Clarida says:

Welcome home.

7. Sheryl says:

Deanna, you are greatly missed. I was shocked at your announcement during the Circle City Classic Parade. My mom passed away on July 27, 2012, and had been an avid Wish TV news fan . . . there was none other. I’ve lost my very best friend, she was septic. So I am very happy to hear that your mom survived this horrible, horrible infection. I wish you the very best and hope that you will enhale every moment that you share with your parents.

I feel alone but comforted to know that I have an angel in heaven watching over me. So please share in this with me, as my mom was a huge fan of yours and prayed for you daily. Lastly, she walked the walk with you spiritually and told me that you would be okay. So now, look at you girl, you are a Texan once again! God’s love and peace shines through you. Sheryl

P.S. Where is Angela Buchman? Mom was also a fan of Angela.

8. Sherry says:

Deanna,
    I will miss your presence here in the Hoosier state. You helped me through difficult times by being so brave and speaking of your own personal struggles. As difficult as it may seem, when we take care of our family, we are taking care of a part of ourselves. I wish you luck and much happiness in your new endeavors.

9. The Hamblen's says:

Deanna,
    We miss seeing you on the news every day! Hope all is well.
    The Hamblen’s

10. Carol Fox says:

We will miss you, Deanna. You are an inspiration to others, and we wish you only the best. Peace be with you, my co-survivor.

11. sheila huffaker says:

Hi Deanna, How are you? I kept asking people and family members, where is Deanna? Then finally my son looked you up on the computer and now I know. I’m sorry to see you go. I looked forward to seeing you and hearing you say…. Go make it a great day! Take care!

12. Janel Stults says:

Deanna I have missed you, and figure out how to find where you have gone. I enjoyed seeing you on the news. Miss you and hope all is well.Sending you prayers and hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas. Take care

13. Judy Hill says:

Deanna just wanted to let you know that you are and will be missed. Looked forward to seeing you on the evening news. I wish you a Merry Christmas and your family also. Take care but do let us know from time to time how you are doing.