The governor made it clear Thursday that winning federal approval for his plan to expand the Healthy Indiana Plan will be difficult.
It’s clear that Mike Pence is unwilling to back off elements of his HIP 2.0 plan that include co-payments and health savings accounts.
It’s also clear that his alternative to expanding medicaid is unacceptable to leaders in the Obama Administration.
Pence made his case to Barack Obama in a face-to-face meeting when the President came to Evansville last week.
Earlier this week he traveled to Washington to meet with Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Burwell, and Thursday he pointed to patient contributions as a snag in the negotiations.
“That’s fundamentally different than traditional medicaid,” he said, “so I recognize that we’re asking a lot of federal officials to allow us to use traiditional medicaid dollars to create a program like the Healthy Indiana Plan on a much broader basis.”
He went on to say, “We’re having a very substantive dialogue but differences remain.”
The governor stands by his belief that traditional medicaid is a flawed system.
He says that if it is to be expanded here it must be done the Indiana way.